If you’re on Tinder, you know how important the opening line can be. It’s the first thing a potential match sees, and it can make or break your chance of getting a response.
And no, starting off with ‘hi’ is not a particularly good intro.
Get a lot of that? Read how to respond to ‘hi’ on dating apps.
Anyways, we’ve compiled a list of 24 of the best opening lines for guys to use on Tinder. All of these lines have been shown to work and can help you get more matches and start more conversations.
Statistics and Anecdotes
According to a study conducted by dating app Hinge, women are 40% more likely to respond to messages that are creative and interesting.
Another study by OkCupid found that messages that use words like “beautiful,” “gorgeous,” and “sexy” actually decrease your chances of getting a response.
Yes, being creepy doesn’t work. Who’da thunk it?
In short, you need your Tinder opening lines to be well thought out or, at the very least, tried and tested.
So, if you want to increase your chances of getting a response, you need to be creative and avoid being too forward.
How to Think of a Good Tinder Opening Line
When it comes to opening lines on Tinder, you can pop a few of our suggestions in the memory banks. But if you’re gonna think of a good Tinder opening line on the fly there are some basic rules to follow (if you can’t remember the actual lines).
Make it about her
We all like to talk about ourselves, right? So ask her about something that you can deduce from her profile pic… Take a guess where her holiday shot was taken.
Tell her her sunglasses in one of her shots really compliment her face. Ask he what bungee jumping was like (assuming she has a bungee jumping shot in her profile pictures).
Compliments or highlighting their skills or interests will help to break down any resistance and could even spark that conversation.
Asking questions and being fun and playful with your responses will also go a long way to building a rapport.
Avoid flirty or sexy talk
At least in the opener. High chances she gets about 30 guys a day saying she is sexy (well, fuckin’ obviously) or she has nice legs or other less subtle openers.
Be classy, be cool, and give her less chance to ditch you at square one.
Another way to think of your Tinder opening line is that you are trying to engage another person, who is likely very busy and has a lot going on, with something that they might actually want to respond to.
And although, yes, Tinder is where people go to find hookups – this isn’t always the case. So don’t assume. Build a rapport first, then you can move onto the pick up lines once you’ve worked out what her style or goals are.
Go get this book from Amazon: How to flirt with women without being creepy. Honestly, it will change your game.
Try and be relatable
Find a way that you and her have some common ground and work on that. It might be that she wears a brand you like, or maybe she is doing a sport or activity you’d love to try. Ask her about it.
Sure, this one is easier said than done, and doesn’t always work. But a good first message could be a joke or a funny opening line. Humour is a great way to break the ice and skip the small talk.
Warning though.. Your humour can backfire if she’s not the type to get your random question or hilarious take on a subject. Proceed with caution.
Ok – so what are the best conversation starters or opening lines for Tinder?
24 Best Tinder Opening Lines
So we’ve gone though and picked our favourite Tinder conversation starters and opening lines, based on a mixture of things.
Some of these play it safe, but could be used with pretty much anyone. Of course, you will have done your due dilligence and researched her profile.
These Tinder opening lines are also designed to be adapted. Sure, use them, they work. But put them in your own voice and style, and back up your opening line with your great wit, charisma and charm. Obviously right 😉
- “What’s your favorite thing to do on the weekends?”
- “I loved your profile. What’s your favorite thing about it?”
- “Hey there! You seem like a really interesting person. What do you like to do for fun?”
- “I couldn’t help but notice we have some things in common. Want to chat about it?”
- “I have a feeling we’re going to get along really well. What do you think?”
- “What’s your favorite type of food? I’m always looking for new places to try.”
- “I have to say, your profile picture is stunning. Where was it taken?”
- “Hey, I noticed we both love hiking. What’s your favorite trail?”
- “I’m a big fan of puns. Do you have a favorite one?”
- “I noticed we both love sushi. Want to grab some together sometime?”
- “I see you’re a dog lover. What’s your pup’s name?”
- “What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done?”
- “I’m a big fan of traveling. What’s your favorite place you’ve ever been to?”
- “I noticed we both love Game of Thrones. Who’s your favorite character?”
- “I have to say, I’m impressed with your taste in music. What’s your favorite band?”
- “I have to ask, what’s your secret to taking such great photos?”
- “I noticed we both love coffee. Want to grab a cup together sometime?”
- “I’m a big fan of cheesy pickup lines. Want to hear one?”
- “I see you’re a fan of the outdoors. What’s your favorite outdoor activity?”
- “I have to say, you have a beautiful smile.”
- “I noticed you’re a fan of tattoos. Do you have any?” (or – which is your favorite?)
- “I’m a big fan movie fan too. What’s your favorite/whats your must watch recommendation?”
- “I see you’re a fan of yoga. How long have you been practicing?”
- “I have to say, your bio made me laugh. Want to grab a drink and see if we can keep the laughs going?”
Liked these? Check out this excellent book on Amazon: How to flirt with women. Some great advice in here well worth the $10.
Here are a few examples of how these opening lines can be used:
- Opening Line: “What’s your favorite thing to do on the weekends?”
- Response: “I love hiking and trying new restaurants. What about you?”
- Opening Line: “I love your your profile. What’s your favorite thing about it?”
- Response: “Haha, I don’t know. I guess I just try to be myself and show my personality.”
- Opening Line: “Hey there! You seem like a really interesting person. What do you like to do for fun?”
- Response: “Thanks! I love reading, exploring new places, and trying new foods. How about you?”
Now, reading these you might be thinking ‘yeah right’. But the truth is that most people, women included, are just waiting to talk to someone nice.
You might have heard that being a bad boy gets the girls, or some such bullshit.
But the truth is, being a normal non-sleazy guy who is genuinely interested in her will go a much longer way to winning you that date than looking for some good psychology pickup line.
Personalizing and Adapting
As we mentioned before, it’s important to personalize and adapt these opening lines to the person you’re talking to.
Take the time to read their profile and look at their pictures.
Use something you find there to make your opening line more personal and engaging.
But try not to overthink it. OK, that might seem like a bit of a contradiction, but don’t worry about starting the conversation.
After all, Tinder is a numbers game.
Send that first Tinder message and see what happens.
You also need to make sure you have a well optimized profile yourself. Make sure to take a good profile picture for your dating profile.
So these 24 proven opening lines to use on Tinder are a good starter, now it’s time to put them to use. Remember to be creative, avoid being too forward, personalize your messages, and don’t forget to ask engaging questions to ask on Tinder to spark interesting conversations..
While Tinder is a great place to meet women online, it’s not the only option for online dating.
If you haven’t already tried eharmony, we strongly recommend you give it a go. As one of the oldest online dating apps, it eharmony has a huge pool of quality active profiles. It also has a relatively low percentage of spam or fake accounts (due to their in-depth verification process).
And eharmony apparently has the highest percentage of people looking for serious relationships, not hookups, which is perfect for when you’re done with fishing.
So try these opening lines on a dating app with more chance of meeting your perfect partner. Try out eharmony…