If you’re on Tinder, you know how important the opening line can be. It’s the first thing a potential match sees, and it can make or break your chance of getting a response.
And no, starting off with ‘hi’ is not a particularly good intro.
Get a lot of that? Read how to respond to ‘hi’ on dating apps.
Anyways, we’ve compiled a list of 24 of the best opening lines for guys to use on Tinder. All of these lines have been shown to work and can help you get more matches and start more conversations.
Statistics and Anecdotes
According to a study conducted by dating app Hinge, women are 40% more likely to respond to messages that are creative and interesting.
Another study by OkCupid found that messages that use words like “beautiful,” “gorgeous,” and “sexy” actually decrease your chances of getting a response. Yes, being creepy doesn’t work. Who’da thunk it?
Want to know how to ask a woman to hookup?
So, if you want to increase your chances of getting a response, you need to be creative and avoid being too forward.
24 Best Opening Lines
When it comes to opening lines on Tinder, there are some basic rules to follow (if you can’t remember the actual lines).
Try and be relatable. Find a way that you and her have some common ground and work on that.
Make it about her. Compliments or highlighting their skills or interests will help to break down any resistance and could even spark that conversation. Asking questions and being fun and playful with your responses will also go a long way to building a rapport.
Stay away from open flirting or sexual talk, at least in the opener. High chances she gets about 30 guys a day saying she has nice legs or other less subtle openers.
Be classy, be cool, and give her less chance to ditch you at square one.
Ok – so what are the best opening lines for Tinder?
- “What’s your favorite thing to do on the weekends?”
- “I loved your profile. What’s your favorite thing about it?”
- “Hey there! You seem like a really interesting person. What do you like to do for fun?”
- “I couldn’t help but notice we have some things in common. Want to chat about it?”
- “I have a feeling we’re going to get along really well. What do you think?”
- “What’s your favorite type of food? I’m always looking for new places to try.”
- “I have to say, your profile picture is stunning. Where was it taken?”
- “Hey, I noticed we both love hiking. What’s your favorite trail?”
- “I’m a big fan of puns. Do you have a favorite one?”
- “I noticed we both love sushi. Want to grab some together sometime?”
- “I see you’re a dog lover. What’s your pup’s name?”
- “What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done?”
- “I’m a big fan of traveling. What’s your favorite place you’ve ever been to?”
- “I noticed we both love Game of Thrones. Who’s your favorite character?”
- “I have to say, I’m impressed with your taste in music. What’s your favorite band?”
- “I have to ask, what’s your secret to taking such great photos?”
- “I noticed we both love coffee. Want to grab a cup together sometime?”
- “I’m a big fan of cheesy pickup lines. Want to hear one?”
- “I see you’re a fan of the outdoors. What’s your favorite outdoor activity?”
- “I have to say, you have a beautiful smile.”
- “I noticed you’re a fan of tattoos. Do you have any?” (or – which is your favorite?)
- “I’m a big fan movie fan too. What’s your favorite/whats your must watch recommendation?”
- “I see you’re a fan of yoga. How long have you been practicing?”
- “I have to say, your bio made me laugh. Want to grab a drink and see if we can keep the laughs going?”
Here are a few examples of how these opening lines can be used:
- Opening Line: “What’s your favorite thing to do on the weekends?”
- Response: “I love hiking and trying new restaurants. What about you?”
- Opening Line: “I love your your profile. What’s your favorite thing about it?”
- Response: “Haha, I don’t know. I guess I just try to be myself and show my personality.”
- Opening Line: “Hey there! You seem like a really interesting person. What do you like to do for fun?”
- Response: “Thanks! I love reading, exploring new places, and trying new foods. How about you?”
Personalizing and Adapting
Remember that it’s important to personalize and adapt these opening lines to the person you’re talking to. Take the time to read their profile and look at their pictures. Use something you find there to make your opening line more personal and engaging.
You also need to make sure you have a well optimized profile yourself. Make sure to take a good profile picture for your dating profile.
So these 24 proven opening lines to use on Tinder are a good starter, now it’s time to put them to use. Remember to be creative, avoid being too forward, and personalize your messages.
While Tinder is a great place to meet women online, it’s not the only option for online dating.
If you haven’t already tried eharmony, we strongly recommend you give it a go. As one of the oldest online dating apps, it eharmony has a huge pool of quality active profiles. It also has a relatively low percentage of spam or fake accounts (due to their in-depth verification process).
So try these opening lines on a dating app with more chance of meeting your perfect partner. Try out eharmony…